Free Consultation No Fee Unless You Win 270-282-0144 Habla Espanol

Understanding your child's post-car wreck TBI

Your son had only been driving a year before the car wreck. He and his friends had gone out to see a movie and on their way home, a drunk driver swerved into their lane, hitting them head-on. Fortunately, there were no fatalities; however, your son suffered a severe head injury.

The doctors told you he had a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and explained that he was looking at a long and difficult road to recovery. You are worried about how you will be able to afford the treatments your son needs, even with health insurance coverage. Fortunately, you do have options. A Tennessee attorney can help you handle filing a claim against the other driver and his insurance to ensure that your child receives the care he needs.

Classification of TBIs

Understanding your son's TBI will help you with the coping and healing processes. In general, TBIs are classified according to the severity of the injury and how the brain seems to be functioning.

A person with a mild TBI is usually awake but suffers from confusion, disorientation, memory loss, headaches, and maybe a brief loss of consciousness. People with moderate TBIs are typically lethargic. Their eyes will open to stimulation, such as light, but they could lose consciousness for up to 20 minutes. An individual with a severe traumatic brain injury, such as your son, is often unconscious for more than six hours after the impact. In addition, his eyes will not open during this time even with stimulation.

Recognizing the symptoms

The symptoms of a TBI can last over an extended period of time. Your son might experience memory loss or amnesia, visual problems, fatigue and headaches. You may also notice signs of poor attention, irritability, depression and sleep loss. In addition, he could suffer from dizziness, seizures and vomiting.


There is a wide range of treatments available for victims of traumatic brain injuries. It is possible that your son may need surgery to relieve swelling or for the doctor to repair the damage. There are also a number of medications that the doctor may prescribe to help prevent infection, seizures and pressure. Your doctor will discuss with you the best course of treatment for your son and how best to improve his recovery.


Your son's recovery might include rehabilitation. He may need to relearn certain tasks, from walking to writing his name. A physical therapist will help him rebuild his strength, balance and coordination. Day to day activities, such as dressing, bathing and feeding himself, will be addressed by an occupational therapist. You may also need a speech therapist to help him with swallowing, communication and cognition skills.

Dealing with your child's catastrophic injuries is a very difficult thing for a parent to face. Fortunately, you have options to help alleviate the financial burden of healthcare costs. Reach out to a local personal injury attorney for advice on filing a claim against the driver responsible for your son's car crash.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Let Me Help You Protect Your Right To Compensation

For more information, please call 270-282-0144 or fill out the below form to send us a confidential email:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Map & Direction

Mike Breen, Attorney at Law, P.S.C.
870 Fairview Avenue
Suite 5
Bowling Green, KY 42101

Phone: 270-282-0144
Fax: 270-782-3855
Map & Directions

Review Us